Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Kitten Slumber - Cat Toys and Night Feeding

Colby is about a 1 month old kitten now and yet he is still hyper.  Like a baby he wakes up in the middle of the night crying for his milk.  So I just try to pet him until he falls back to sleep. 
I think everytime he wakes up from sleeping he's confused about where he is but as soon as he is comforted he's fine and goes back to sleep.  What seems the most effective is nightime feeding only and getting him to play in the afternoon.  To achieve this I looked for toys/stuff that made the kitten more active.  I even included the stuff that you could get for free.  Everybody loves free things, right?


Here's a list of toys/stuff that I found worked:



1.  Loofa Cat Toy
Sometimes  I could get away with giving him his favorite toy, I think it's a texture thing but I always catch him carrying it in his mouth.  Walking around the apartment with it trying to find the perfect spot to play with his favorite toy.  I got mine free from Centinela Pet Feed Store with a coupon that I got with their monthly newsletter.  It's a good idea to sign-up with their newsletter if you live close by to a store (they don't have online shopping available).  You could also purchase this toy from PETCO Online too.


 2.  Feather Cat Teasers
While watching television and waving around this feather teaser saves alot of time in terms of multi-tasking.  Colby will go at it for a while, even when I'm done playing with him I'll stick the handle underneath a sofa seat cushion and he'll help himself to some playing too.  Any kind will do.  I see them everywhere where they sell pet supplies, ie. big name grocery stores, drug stores, pet stores, etc.


3.  Cosmic Alpine Inclined Cat Scratcher with Catnip
The kitten needs to stretch too and get his fix on scratching.  Better to deter the kitten from the furniture and invest on something like this.  Cardboard appeals to the kitten more.


4.  Carboard boxes
Everytime a new cardboard box enters the apartment Colby gets so excited.  He's the first one to start jumping in and out of the box.  After he tears it up I throw it in the recycling bin.  Eco and Free, how cool is that?!


5.  FREE - Grocery Paper Bags
Grocery paper bags have the same effect on Colby as the cardboard boxes.  It's awesome that I could come home from shopping throw an empty bag on the kitchen floor and it keeps him occupied and out of my way while I put away my groceries.


6.  Plastic drinking straws
Not only will Colby play with these, but it helps with his teething.  The kitten will play these alone or with me (depending on how hyper he is).  I usually just buy these by the pack and leave them in a wicker basket for Colby to take as he pleases.  If I'm running low, I just grab an extra one at a restaurant to hold him down.


Well folks, hope this helps with you and your kitten as it did for me and mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment