Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cat on a Leash

How I was able to walk my cat Sammy on a leash.
I went through many cat leashes and harnesses till I finally achieved finding the perfect one. Ever since Sammy was 6 months old I frequently took her out for a walk even though she didn't always walk.
Starting out in an enclosed apartment complex was easy because Sammy got acquainted with her surroundings and eventually didn't become skittish from every sound that she heard.  After mastering the walk throughout the apartment complex we moved to another complex without an enclosure. I thought the hurdle that was once achieved had to be defeated again, but I stood corrected. We actually didn’t start from the beginning what I learned from my previous experience helped me and Sammy walk harmoniously in our new neighborhood…here is what I learned:


1. It’s never too early to start.
The younger you train your cat/kitten the easier it is to teach them newer things. Colby had his first night on a leash. He’s little so I used a
Premier Come With Kitty Harness and Leash. The challenge was trying to put it on his squirmy little body.

2. Find a harness that your cat is most comfortable in but can’t escape out of.
You could tell right away if the cat likes the harness if he/she doesn’t seem bothered by wearing it. It will show when your cat likes the harness when he/she is ready to walk without hesitation. Make sure your cat is comfortable wearing it before you take him/her out of her comfort zone of being indoors. Let him/her walk around with it indoors for a few minutes and notice if he/she isn’t bothered by it. When Sammy didn’t like a harness, within seconds of having the harness on, she would meow excessively and behave in a bad mood.  I found Sammy liked the 
Super Pet USA Comfort Pet Harness, a harness more commonly used for small animals.

3. Evening time is best, less distractions for the kitty.
Make sure your cat is in an environment where he/she can focus.

4. Start short then gradually increase your distance.
Remain in the safe zone, walk from your door to the sidewalk and make that your distance for the day/evening. Allow for the cat to become acquainted with his/her surroundings the first time out. Start traveling the same path once a week then increase the frequency to twice a week.  Remember to go a little further than the previous trip taken. Going daily might shock your kitty so ease into the practice.  Eventually you’ll have a Cat on a Leash, good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment